During his years of practice, Mr. Llopiz has maintained a high degree of professionalism, while securing notable accomplishments on behalf of his clients. Mr. Llopiz has considerable experience defending government liability claims, and chairs the firm’s Government Liability Division. In his practice, Mr. Llopiz routinely represents municipalities, state agencies, state universities, state attorneys, special taxing districts, water management districts, school boards and districts, and public officials and officers. Mr. Llopiz has successfully defended numerous Federal and State parties against such actions involving issues of sovereign immunity, qualified immunity, 11th Amendment immunity, federal state action doctrines, 1983 actions, wrongful death claims, municipal code violations, construction defects, public decency laws, Chapter 119 violations, harassment, gender discrimination, retaliation, Title VII, Title IX, Federal and State whistleblower violations, fraud, and a battery of common law torts.
Mr. Llopiz also chairs the Professional Liability Division. In his practice, he regularly represents attorneys and other professionals charged with malpractice, errors, and omissions. Mr. Llopiz has handled litigation against professionals ranging from matters simply overlooked, to complex corporate reorganizations and fraud. In his practice, he regularly defends attorneys, law firms, insurance agents and brokers, real estate agents, title and closing agents, escrow agents, appraisers, investment firms, as well as various design professionals, medical doctors, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, and other counselors. He also handles related administrative proceedings, including complaints, inquiries, and investigations.
Leadership, Membership & Honors
Mr. Llopiz has been awarded an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, which is the highest accolade an attorney can receive for legal ability and professional ethics. AV Preeminent is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence. The AV Preeminent designation signifies that Mr. Llopiz has been rated by Judges and fellow attorneys as having the highest possible rating for legal abilities and ethical standards. The “AV Preeminent” rating is awarded to less than five percent of all attorneys across the United States, and is the highest rating offered by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. The AV Preeminent rating is a nationally-recognized acknowledgment of accomplishments and skills as an attorney, and places Mr. Llopiz among the elite practitioners in the country.
Areas of Expertise
Significant Representations & Experience
Mr. Llopiz has been involved in various cases of first impression and matters involving complex issues of law, resulting in leading authorities at both state and federal levels. Some of these representative cases include:
- Martin Memorial Medical Center, Inc. v. Tenet Healthsystem Hospitals, Inc., 875 So. 2d 797 (Fla. 1st DCA 2005).
- Crowley Museum and Nature Center, Inc. v. Southwest Florida Water Management Dist., 993 So. 2d 605 (Fla. 2d DCA 2008)
- Your A to X Video Outlet, Inc. v. Stirling Center, LLP, Case No. CACE 08053379 (Fla. 11th Cir. Ct. 2008)
- O’Donnell v. Derrig, Case No. 09-10827, 2009 WL 2501957 (11th Cir. 2009)
- TheStreet.com, Inc. v. Carroll, 20 So. 3d 947 (Fla. 4th DCA 2009)
- Young Apartments, Inc. v. Town of Jupiter, FL, 529 F.3d 1027 (11th Cir. 2008)
- Berg v. Merchants Ass’n Collection Div., Inc., 586 F. Supp. 2d 1336 (S.D. Fla. 2008)
- Florida Atlantic University Bd. of Trustees v. Lindsey, 50 So. 3d 1205 (Fla. 4th DCA 2010)
- Pleasant Valley Biofuels, LLC v. SMGQ, 13-23046-CIV-Cohn-Seltzer (United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2013)(Defense Verdict)
- Smith v. Town of Davie, Case No. 13-019894 (06) (Florida 17th Judicial Circuit 2019) (Defense Verdict).
- Wrinn v. Town of Davie, Case No. 16-003083 (08) (Florida 17th Judicial Circuit 2019) (Defense Verdict).
- Jolicoeur v. J.B. (11th Judicial Circuit 2020) (Defense Verdict)
Professional and Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member
- Municipal Attorneys Association, Member
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society, Lifetime Member
- Psi Chi National Psychology Honor Society, Lifetime Member
- Member, Dade County Bar Association
- Member, Cuban American Bar Association
- State of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Awards and Recognitions
News & Publications
- Fostering Long-Term Client Loyalty Is Key Driver at Lydecker Diaz
- Course & Scope of Employment vs. Scope of Employment: Sometimes, Neither is it the Same Nor is it Equal by Onier Llopiz and Joan Carlos Wizel (October 2016)
- FDIC Wins $4.9M From WaMu’s Title Insurer For Loan Fraud (September 4, 2014)
- Miami Herald: City Takes Hard Look at Ultra (March 31, 2014)
- Corporate Counsel Magazine: Coping With (and Insuring Against) Data Breach Liability (February 13, 2014)
- DBR: Cyber Liability Insurance Can Ease Your Mind by Onier Llopiz & Brian Perreault ( (February 19, 2014)
- Law 360 Q&A With Lydecker Diaz’s Onier Llopiz (June 3, 2013)
- FDIC Sues 2 Title Insurers Over $7.7M WaMu Fraud (October 4, 2012)
- DBR: With Sovereignty Comes Increased Liability From Higher Caps (September 30, 2011)
- Wish I Was in Dixie (November 15, 2007)